Monday, March 7, 2011

1 Samuel 22:1-2

1.  "David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam.  And when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him.  2.  And everyone who was in destress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was bitter in soul, gathered to him.  And he became captain over them.  And there were with him about four hundred men."

ok...there are  a couple of ways I can interpret this.  I will tell you both, but start with the one that came to me first.   I must admit that when I first read this...I kinda laughed.  Read the verse again and look at the types of people who "gathered to him."    those is "distress, debt, and bitter" gathered to him.   Can you imagine running for your life, hiding in a cave, and those that come to you are distressed, poor and angry?  Made me laugh!!!  At least to begin with.  But if we are truly people after "God's own heart" don't you think these are the kinds of people he would bring into our lives?  After all...it's easy to love the "lovable."  It's easy to love those with high standing in society..(except for maybe charlie Sheen...but even Charlie is VERY IMPORTANT TO GOD.    And I say this with no disrespect.  But the the fact that God loves Charlie Sheen just as much and equal to as much as he loves me makes me realize that everyone is important to God.  After all, aren't we all His children?   )  God loves and cares for everyone.  I believe God was "creating a pure and clean heart" in David.    Maybe David attracted these types of people because they saw something in David they wanted.   Something to give them hope.  Or maybe David had no heart for these people.  Maybe he couldn't relate.  After all, look at the psalms of David.  don't we all crave the heart for God David had?  I know I do.  I am so far from it...but pray God will create in me a pure heart.  A  heart that follows hard after Him.  OR.....

Could it be that b/c David seemed to have no faith in God (well, once he slayed Goliath)  so those in despair were drawn to him?  Don't we seem to attract or are attracted to those who are most like us? I hate... so bring me people that hate.  I'm angry... so bring people to me who are angry so I can vent with  ease and without conviction.  Even if we think it or not.  Look at the psalms.  He was despairing, he was angry, he feared.  David loved God but where was his faith?  At the moment David was "freaking out" at his circumstances.    Otherwise, he would have faced His giant as he did goliath. 

I don't know your circumstances.  I don't know your heart.  What I do know is that god has a plan for each of us.  What is he calling you to.  Does He want you to minister to the ones in debt,  or to those bitter in soul or does He want you to see the types of people you "draw" unto yourself?  Examine your heart and let God be the judge.

1 comment:

  1. this is crazy because i was just thinking about this earlier today. a friend of mine tends to draw "needy" people to her. we are quick to say, "why do i tend to attract all of the (fill in the blank w/ whatever)?" but my thought is a lot like yours, what if this is because the Lord has specially equipped such a person to minister to these personality types? Your thoughts on attracting people to us who are most like us, I didn't consider that. If we are allowing ourselves to be refined by Him, I can certainly see how this would benefit us. great thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete