Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Defeating the Enemy

When I woke up early this morning to do my Bible study I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open.  Of course I wasn't getting much out of the Word since my caffeine hadn't kicked in so I decided to try to find some kind of Christian program to watch on TV until I "woke up" enough to read my Bible.  I found Joyce Meyer and began to listen to her.  I know she was speaking on having wisdom (Marilyn, I thought of you and how this confirmed what you said) but not sure of the exact nature.  But one verse and interpretation has stuck with me all morning long.  My Bible has been open to this verse all day and I read it over and over.  I wanted to share with you her thoughts as well as some of my own.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2..."When the LORD your God brings you into the land that you are entering to take possession of it, AND clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites, seven nations MORE NUMEROUS AND MIGHTIER than yourselves, and when the LORD your God GIVES THEM OVER TO YOU , and you DEFEAT THEM, then you must devote them to COMPLETE DESTRUCTION.  You shall make NO COVENANT WITH THEM AND SHOW THEM NO MERCY."

wow wow wow....Joyce said that we all have our "ites."  Could be wifeites, husbandites, bossinessites, mercilessites, complainingites, and in my case (which is only one that I mention b/c I do have other "ites") alcoholismites.  OK...I'm not suggesting our wifes and husbands are our enemies, but I do believe there are people out there who think they are.  But no, do not show no mercy to your spouses and do not completely destroy them.  For that matter don't even partially destroy them.  Only love and pray for them.  (I thought I'd better make that clear...HA).   Three things I notice...well two learned from Joyce and one from the Holy Spirit myself....

1.  according to v. 2...God gives them over to us...who is them?  Our enemies.  In other words,  (according to what I see)  when God gives them to us is when we actually realize they are enemies.  For example...when I began to drink wine, I had NO IDEA it was an enemy.   But in time, God "gave it over to me" (and I say that with tears in my eyes) and I realized wine was my enemy.  I thought alcohol was my friend.  It helped me be more patient, funny, outgoing, kind, a better wife, mother, friend.  That's what our enemy wants us to think knowing destruction lies ahead and this is a truth I know all too well.  What is an enemy...someone or something who longs to see us destroyed, made a fool of, made fun of, even to the point of death.

2.  We must "devote them over to complete destruction and have no mercy."  (v.2)  Not partial...but COMPLETE DESTRUCTION...This hit me hard because I always gave it over to partial destruction.   I told my enemy, I will not have anything to do with you except on the weekends, and maybe labor day and 4th of July and Memorial Day and St. Patricks Day...oh and Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Oh my enemy, I will not forget you on Auburn game days and days when I've been hurt oh and days that I'm actually excited.  I think you see where this is going.  It ended up being everyday that I was drinking with excuses (partial destruction).   God says devote them to "COMPLETE DESTRUCTION AND SHOW NO MERCY."  wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

3.  Thank God for His word saying...and WHEN you defeat them  (v.2)  Not if but when you defeat them.  God does not give us an enemy we can't defeat.  They may look like giants and it may look as if we are doomed with defeat but that's not what God's word says.  He will never give us something we can not handle.  With that said, it's up to us to pray, fast, seek through, but God goes before us and our enemies are defeated.  My friends, don't let your "giant" defeat you.  Your enemy may be big, but your God, my God  is bigger.  If God is for me, who can stand against me.  No one love, no one!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't type that hard enough!!  :) 

And please hear me when I say this...If God is showing you (or "handing over") an enemy...do not delay in destroying that enemy.  I waited and waited and made excuse after excuse and now....well now my enemy defeated me in a few battles.  This is not what God wanted.  He wanted me to have complete victory in every battle.  Praise God He never gave up on me and He has restored me and my family, but not without hurt, pain, shame, guilt, and the list goes on.  I don't want this for anyone!  So from the "mountain top" let me shout...devote your enemies NOW to COMPLETE DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

I love everyone of you...I really do.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! COMPLETE destruction!!! Purge! And never forget, "Greater is He that is in you than is in the world"!!!!! ..... thinking on my own -ites...

    ReplyDelete