Monday, February 21, 2011

Genesis 15:16

"In the fourth generation, your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."  Gen. 15:16

The Message Bible puts it like this..."Not until the fourth generation will your descendants return here; sin is still a thriving business among the Amorites."

This morning I did my bible study on the covenant between Jonathan and David.  However, during that study I came across the above scripture.  It may not seem like much to you but for some reason, it really stuck out to me.  I guess I didn't really understand it;  why God would wait until the Amorites had reached the peak of their sin before God would bring them back to enter into their promised land.   My one starred brain was thinking He wanted His children back once sin had really kicked in.  (I'm sure I'd get minus 25 stars for this!  haha  If you are not sure what this means...read my "I'm Not Smarticle" post.)  I asked God to give me insight as to why He did this.  I'm no bible scholar but I did break out the concordance and commentary and still really received no answer.   However, I do feel like it was more about protection.  That although His people were in slavery for 400 years, he was keeping them away from all the evil of the Amorites.  He didn't want His children around such iniquity.  And the worst was yet to come.  Because only GOD can see into the future only he knows the destruction this evil could have caused His people.  Could that be part of the reason some of us have not yet "entered into our promised land?"  I really don't know but I do think this is something to ponder on.  I know what God has called me to do but I also know I haven't arrived there yet.  Maybe He's "protecting me from the 'Amorites'"  Instead of asking why He's waiting so long maybe I should say..."Lord, I trust your timing."  Just sayin'!!!! 

Please please leave me your thoughts on this.  I want this blog to be more like an interactive "bible study" if you will.  I really want to hear your thoughts and comments.

5 comments:

  1. I love your insight! It always amazes me that someone can read an 'ordinary' passage in the Bible and turn into something extraordinary. After thinking about this verse, and your comments, for a while I also began to apply it to my own daughter's life. We need to protect our descendants from as much evil as we can. And although they may not understand it at the time, they have to trust and obey us, just like we should trust and obey God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right and I believe so many of us fail to do that as parents at times. One of them being me! But thank God I can pray that He will shield them from my mistakes as a mom!!!Thank you for your comment...keep them coming!!! I LOVE IT when we interact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and welcome to my blog...I love ya already!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful point! I am NOT good about waiting. I always want things to happen right away. I love your perspective and pray that I can apply it to my life.

    It reminds me of the lyrics to a song (by Josh Wilson, I think) "Life is not a snapshot... It might take a little time to see the bigger picture".


    So nice to "meet" you today!
    Melanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Melanie...so nice to "meet" you too!!!! I love this!!!! And girl...I am sooooo with you!!! I am not a patient person by nature or any other form of creation for that matter. haha. thanks for visiting my blog and hope you continue to visit. I love people especially when we share the joy of the LORD. Please re-visit me. You are always welcome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete