Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why Do I Do What I Don't Want to Do?

I am constantly doing that "thing" I do not want to do!  Can anyone say AMEN?  I seem to ask myself this everyday.  "WHY GOD?  WHY DO I DO THIS?  YOU KNOW I DON'T WANT TO.  YOU KNOW I WANT TO BE SOLD OUT TO YOU FREE FROM THE CHAINS THAT BIND ME!!!  SO WHY?"  The answer?  Romans 7:15-25 lays it out for us.  Paul says..."I do not understand my own actions. (isn't it good to know Paul struggled with sin but was a great servant of God)  For I do not do what I want.  But I do the very thing that I hate.  v.18b  For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out!  (I know this truth all too well)  For I do not do the good I want but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.  v.21  So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right evil lies close at hand. (battles in the mind)  For I delight in the law of God in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my MIND making me CAPTIVE to the law of sin that dwells in my members.  Wretched man that I am!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord."    So, the law of sin wages war against the law of God.  And where does this war take place?  In our minds.  That's why God tells us to take every thought captive to Christ.  But if you are like me, this is no easy task.  Not really knowing what this meant, I looked up the word captive in the concordance.  One of it's meanings is "to gain control over."  Again no easy task.  But once we have victory over the war in our minds, I believe it is then freedom will come.  And "he who the Son sets free is free indeed." 
Feel free to comment.  That's what this blog is for...to encourage each other in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment